The Saint Lawrence Seaway was built in 1959 and many of the region’s lighthouses were automated or shut down. Yet they remain as a symbol seemingly stopped in time, shining a beacon on our past. Many lighthouses still standing in the 1000 Islands region were built in the early 1800s to commemorate shipping and navigation on the St. Lawrence. They were operated by generations of lighthouse keepers – including a notorious pirate – and were the sites of some of the area’s storied shipwrecks.
Dimension: 20 x 16 inch